Jerusalem U creates and distributes innovative and stimulating feature films and film-based educational programs with the goal of making young Jews feel proud of being Jewish and emotionally connected to Israel.
Jewish Women Who Are Killin' it !
These ladies of the tribe are leaving the rest behind as leaders and role models in their professions. Some are household names, others you may not have heard of, but all are hugely influential people.
1. This is a no-brainer for number 1! If you want to impact the world and influence people,
running Facebook is a pretty good way to make it happen! Sheryl Sandberg is Facebook's COO, as well as being a writer and activist campaigner for more women in to business and government roles.
2. If there is anyone in the world with as much or perhaps even more influence on social media as Sandberg, it must be Susan Wojcicki. She was Google's first head of marketing (in fact Google's first office was her garage!) and today she is the CEO of Youtube. She is a strong advocate for women being able to have both a career and a family life. She has 5 children and is an advocate for paid maternity leave.
3. Miriam Peretz is a household name in Israel - she is a winner of the prestigious Begin prize and was honored with lighting a flame at the annual national Independence Day celebrations in 2014. She speaks to audiences around the globe about her life after losing two sons (12 years apart) killed in action defending Israel. Until their death (and of her husband as well) she had been an a wife, mother, and teacher. The book of her story “Miriam’s Song: The Story of Miriam Peretz.” has become a bestseller and has inspired a nation that has lost too many children in battle with her positive attitude and love of her country.
4. Philadelphia-based lawyer and entrepreneur Amy Holtz has an incredible passion for the Jewish people - she was, until recently, our president here at Jerusalem U. She left to become the CEO of potentially the most important initiative in the Jewish world - Mosaic United. You may not have heard about Mosaic yet, but you will soon.
5. Ruth Bader-Ginsburg is a US Supreme Court Justice - she was only the 2nd woman to serve on the Supreme Court as well as now being the oldest Justice. She comes from a religious Jewish family, and still identifies strongly with Judaism and Jewish values and she even has a Hebrew phrase from Deuteronomy painted on her office wall - "Tzedek, Tzedek, Tirdof" ("Justice, justice shall you pursue"). She advocates strongly for women's involvement in society.
6. Back to Hollywood, and they don't come more A-List than Academy Award winner Natalie Portman. She was born in Jerusalem and has duel US / Israeli citizenship. Portman has starred in films as varied as Star Wars and Black Swan, and she recently made her directorial debut by adapting the Israeli book A Tale of Love and Darkness by Amos Oz. She is a passionate animal rights campaigner, and also a global ambassador for Free The Children.
7. Nitsana Darshan Leitner is an Israeli lawyer and human rights activist, who was inspired by the Southern Policy Law Center in the United States, which used litigation to bankrupt and break the Klu Klux Klan and other neo-Nazi groups. She set up the NGO Shurat HaDin which uses the power of the courts against terrorists and terror groups, winning a $655,500,000 against the PLO in American courts in 2015.
8. In the world of international finance and banking Janet Yellen reins supreme as chairperson of
the Federal Reserve, steering the US dollar through turbulent economic times.
9. Neri Oxman is one of the world's most exciting and ground breaking designers - Born in Haifa,
Israel, she is an architect, designer, and professor at MIT. Her work in art and architecture combine design, biology, computing, and materials engineering, in ways which are inspiring the world's top designers.
10. If you like a naughty snack between meals, chances are that Irene Rosenfeld will have something to do with putting that smile on your face. As CEO of Modelez International (aka Kraft Foods), she is one
of the most important people in the food industry- the goodies she steers to your tummy include Oreo cookies, Cadbury chocolate, Chips Ahoy!, and many more brands!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Check out Jerusalem U's films, documentaries and on-line here.
and follow us on Facebook.